When it comes to buying a home, it’s important to remember to check out the status of the home’s heating and cooling systems. Problems with HVAC equipment could lead to costly repairs or replacements that you’re not prepared for after you sign the contract.
Here are 5 HVAC tasks to add to your home shopping checklist:
- Find Out How Old the Furnace Is. There should be a label on the furnace, air conditioner or heat pump that gives its date of manufacture. You can also ask if the unit is original or if it’s been replaced. Equipment around 15 years old is reaching the end of its lifespan.
- Ask about Maintenance History. Find out if the service records for any heating or cooling equipment are available. You want to know if the equipment has received regular maintenance and if it has undergone any repairs.
- Ask about Energy Upgrades. While they may not be as shiny as an upgraded kitchen, energy upgrades like added insulation, energy-efficient windows, and ductwork sealing can make a big difference in the long term heating and cooling costs of a home.
- Ask for Energy Bills. It’s important to know how much it will cost to heat and cool a home so you can factor this in to the cost of ownership. Higher than expected bills could mean a poorly sealed house or signal issues with the heating and cooling equipment.
- Get an HVAC Contractor Involved. If you’ve made an offer on a home, it’s a good idea to have a Nate-certified HVAC technician inspect the house in addition to the standard home inspector. A contractor can thoroughly inspect all heating and cooling equipment before you officially sign the closing documents. Large problems, like a furnace needing replacement, can be negotiated into work that the sellers must complete in order to close. It could also result in a lower asking price.
Don’t overlook the essential role that HVAC will play in your new home. Getting to know a home’s heating and cooling as well as you can will help prevent costly and frustrating surprises once you move into your new home sweet home. If you’re about to buy a home in Katy, Spring, Bellaire or the surrounding Houston area, call Richmond’s Air today for a thorough inspection of the home’s HVAC equipment.