Being comfortable in your home is a priority isn’t it? If you are burning up or freezing, you generally can’t relax as you should. Many times people may think they have an issue with their furnace, when in reality, their thermostat is the problem. Below are some suggestions that may help you to troubleshoot the problem.
- Location – Is the thermostat located near a window with a draft or by the kitchen? If so, it is not in the right location. At my old house, our air conditioner seemed to run for hours in the morning and never would shut off. The reason was because the thermostat was near a large window and the sun shined on it for hours causing the thermostat to think it was 100 degrees in the house. Needless to say, we moved it!
- Loose and Corroded Wires – Many times it could be a small issue with a loose wire and sometimes the wires may be completely corroded and need replacing.
- Power and Batteries – Possibly there is an issue with the power supply or the circuit breaker has tripped or blown a fuse. Also, check your batteries!
- Dirty – Sometimes it may flat out just need a dusting off! You can easily unscrew the cover and take a small paintbrush and sweep off the wires.
- Unlevel – A slanting or tilting thermostat will not function properly period. It just may need to be completely taken off and put back properly.
If you currently have an older, outdated thermostat, read the article in our knowledge center regarding the benefits of a programmable thermostat. It may be time to upgrade!
Hopefully these suggestions can help you to diagnose the issue! However, at Richmond’s Air, our qualified technicians can help diagnose and service whatever problem you may be having. If you live in Houston or the surrounding areas of SugarLand, Hilshire Village or Jersey Village, please call us at (713) 732-6246 for an appointment.