Replacing your HVAC system is a big investment, but it may be worth it even if your system hasn’t completely died yet.
An HVAC system’s lifespan is usually between 10-15 years, but as it gets older, it can become less efficient and require more repairs. Regular preventative maintenance is essential for extending the life and efficiency of your system.
When should you upgrade your HVAC system? Here are five signs that it might be time to buy a new one:
- It’s at least 10 years old. Some things get better as they age – an HVAC system unfortunately isn’t one of them. A furnace tends to last a little longer than an A/C, but it’s usually advised to replace the whole thing at once to make sure they work well together.
- You’re often too hot or too cold. If you find that your A/C isn’t keeping up with Houston summers and your furnace can’t keep your home warm enough during the winter, your system may be on its last legs. It also may not be the correct load for the size of your home, so make sure to research what your home needs before you buy a new system.
- It requires frequent repairs. Regular maintenance is important and necessary for HVAC systems, especially older ones, and some repairs are inevitable on aging systems. But if you have your HVAC company on speed dial, it may be time to think about another solution.
- Your system runs constantly. Efficiency can dwindle with age, so if you find that your HVAC system is constantly turning on and off, or running the majority of the time, it’s probably wasting energy and costing you more money.
- Your indoor air quality is declining. Over time, an older HVAC system may struggle to keep up with allergens and pollutants in the air. Since one of its main jobs is to keep your home well ventilated, a failing system can create more problems with allergies, asthma and sickness.
Before you make your decision, you’ll also want to have a certified HVAC technician take a look at your ductwork, thermostat and home insulation. If there are any major leaks or issues with your thermostat, replacing your HVAC system may not be the answer.
At Richmond’s Air, we know upgrading your HVAC system is a big decision and big investment. Call us today to schedule a consultation.