Earlier this month (Feb. 3), cooler temperatures in the Houston area were to blame for two house fires, according to KRPC Channel 2 News. The news story stated that one fire started Tuesday night when a man had lit a fire in his home’s fireplace to heat up the living room. The flames soon grew out of control and caught the room’s walls on fire. While firefighters were able to save the rest of the home, the living room was left gutted.
Shortly after the first fire, firefighters responded to another house fire which officials think began when a space heater was left unattended in a bedroom. The homeowners were able to get out, but the home will likely be a complete loss.
While seemingly more convenient than turning on the furnace, you should always use extreme caution with supplemental heat sources. Always have your chimney flue cleaned thoroughly before using a fireplace for the first time in a season, and never leave space heaters unattended or running while you’re asleep.
Of course, there are safer heating options for those in the Houston area. For homes with existing ductwork from a central air system, a furnace can be a less dangerous and more energy efficient option compared to space heaters. But even if you don’t have ductwork in your home, you can safely integrate supplemental heat into your home with a ductless mini-split heater, which can also serve as a supplemental air source in hot weather.
While cold days are few and far between in Houston, it’s still important to always heat your home safely when you need it.
If you’re interested in learning more about heating options for your home, call Richmond’s Air today. We service all heating and cooling systems in Houston and the surrounding metro area, including Spring, Katy and Bellaire.