As the air begins to cool, we’ll be turning up the temperature on our thermostats and pulling the space heaters out of storage to stay warm. While Texas doesn’t usually see the same falling temperatures of more northern areas of the country, you’ll still need to be prepared for wintertime.
How long since your heating unit was last checked?
Don’t get stuck out in the cold!
At Richmond’s Air, we’ve been doing heating and furnace repairs right since 2002. Our work is 100% guaranteed by a 1-year parts and labor warranty on repairs.
Space heaters are a popular, affordable option for heating small spaces or supplementing existing heating systems. However, there are some important do’s and don’ts when it comes to operating a space heater safely in your home.
- Be sure to use a space heater that has been tested and certified by up-to-date safety standards.
- Invest in a quality space heater. Lots of models come with safety features. For example, some models have the ability to shut off automatically if overheated or if a person or object comes too close.
- Keep around three feet of space around the heater at all times to avoid fire.
- Use wall plug-ins rather than extension cords or outlet strips.
- Unplug the unit every time you leave the room.
- Make sure you have an active smoke alarm in every room where using a space heater.
- Place your space heater in a room with excessive dampness. For example, avoid placing a space heater in a bathroom.
- Use your space heater while you are out of the room or while sleeping.
- Place your space heater on any furniture or carpet. Space heaters should always be placed on a hard, flat surface.
- Mix the chemicals needed to power the heater. While many space heaters run on electricity, others use kerosene or propane. It’s important never to use gasoline in a heater designed for use with another fuel like kerosene. This can increase the chance of fire.
If you’re looking for a new solution for your heating and cooling needs, contact the experts at Richmond’s Air today to learn more about the services we offer and how we can help heat your home this winter. We proudly serve the communities of Houston, Katy, Spring and surrounding areas.